1. As of the date of accession of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia (‘new Member State(s)’), an EU trade mark registered or applied for pursuant to this Regulation before their respective date of accession shall be extended to the territory of those Member States in order to have equal effect throughout the Union.
2. The registration of an EU trade mark which was under application at the date of accession may not be refused on the basis of any of the absolute grounds for refusal listed in Article 7(1), if these grounds became applicable merely because of the accession of a new Member State.
3. Where an application for the registration of an EU trade mark has been filed during the six months prior to the date of accession, notice of opposition may be given pursuant to Article 46 where an earlier trade mark or another earlier right within the meaning of Article 8 was acquired in a new Member State prior to accession, provided that it was acquired in good faith and that the filing date or, where applicable, the priority date or the date of acquisition in the new Member State of the earlier trade mark or other earlier right precedes the filing date or, where applicable, the priority date of the EU trade mark applied for.
4. An EU trade mark as referred to in paragraph 1 may not be declared invalid:
(a) pursuant to Article 59 if the grounds for invalidity became applicable merely because of the accession of a new Member State;
(b) pursuant to Article 60(1) and (2) if the earlier national right was registered, applied for or acquired in a new Member State prior to the date of accession.
5. The use of an EU trade mark as referred to in paragraph 1 may be prohibited pursuant to Articles 137 and 138, if the earlier trade mark or other earlier right was registered, applied for or acquired in good faith in the new Member State prior to the date of accession of that State; or, where applicable, has a priority date prior to the date of accession of that State.