1. The exclusive right to authorise or prohibit rental and lending shall belong to the following:
(a) the author in respect of the original and copies of his work;
(b) the performer in respect of fixations of his performance;
(c) the phonogram producer in respect of his phonograms;
(d) the producer of the first fixation of a film in respect of the original and copies of his film.
2. This Directive shall not cover rental and lending rights in relation to buildings and to works of applied art.
3. The rights referred to in paragraph 1 may be transferred, assigned or subject to the granting of contractual licences.
4. Without prejudice to paragraph 6, when a contract concerning film production is concluded, individually or collectively, by performers with a film producer, the performer covered by this contract shall be presumed, subject to contractual clauses to the contrary, to have transferred his rental right, subject to Article 5.
5. Member States may provide for a similar presumption as set out in paragraph 4 with respect to authors.
6. Member States may provide that the signing of a contract concluded between a performer and a film producer concerning the production of a film has the effect of authorising rental, provided that such contract provides for an equitable remuneration within the meaning of Article 5. Member States may also provide that this paragraph shall apply mutatis mutandis to the rights included in Chapter II.